A clean, straight cut. That’s what you get with a good circular saw. If you like doing DIY projects in your home or garden without stress, a circular saw is a useful tool to have.
Equipped with a good circular saw you can complete a lot of DIY projects including chicken coops, sheds, raised garden beds, winter gardening, custom wooden shelves for vertical planters, tables, and more.
You don’t need to be a handyman spending lots of time on woodworking projects to have a circular tool. Today, this simple and effective tool is affordable and safe enough for any DIYer to keep at home.
The circular saw blade at the center is strong enough to cut through even the thickest of boards.
That said, some saws are better and safer than others. More than the horsepower of the motor driving the circular saw, you need to consider ease of use, accessories, build quality, and more.
What Is a Circular Saw?
A circular saw is a type of power-saw using a circular blade to cut. The toothed blade rotates on the spot in order to cut through items with less effort and easier control.
Although a circular saw can’t be used to cut down a large tree trunk, it can be useful for smaller jobs such as cutting off small branches or sawing through wood planks.
You can also use circular saws to cut plastic, wood, masonry, or even metal.
The Best Circular Saw to Buy Now
Let’s take a closer look at the best circular saws on the market right now–those you can count on to help you get the job done quickly and safely.
We’ve chosen products that are beginner-friendly. Even if you haven’t used a saw before, you should be able to handle these products.
1. DEWALT DCS575B FLEXVOLT 60V Circular Saw
The DEWALT DCS575B Flexvolt circular saw comes with a 7-¼ inch blade for corded capacity with an electronic brake that stops the blade when the trigger is released. It runs on a brushless motor capable of 5800 RPM.
- DEWALT 7 1/4 circular saw delivers up to 339 cuts per charge in 2-inch x 4-inch pine
- The cordless circular saw has the depth of cut 2-9/16 inch
- Electronic brake - Stops the compact circular saw blade after the trigger is released
It has an adjustable bevel cut capability of up to 57 degrees with stops at 22.5 degrees and 45 degrees. We like the high-quality aluminum shoe for precise cuts and the LED light that provides a clear line of sight to the cut lines.
The DCS575B FLEXVOLT circular saw uses the Flexvolt technology, the world’s first battery that automatically changes voltage when changing tools.
It can handle up to 339 cuts per charge in 2×4’s using a flexible battery at a depth of 1-5/8 inch at 45 degrees and a 2-1/4 inch at 90 degrees.
2. SKILSAW SPT77W-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Aluminum Worm Drive Circular Saw
The Skilsaw SPT77W-01 is a lightweight corded circular saw with an effective cutting system and cut-ready depth adjustments. Add to this the ergonomic design and you’re looking at a tool that’s a pleasure to handle.
- Dual-Field Motor is especially designed for saws; increases cooling and extends tool life
- Lightweight construction (14.2 lbs. without blade, cord and wrench) reduces user fatigue
- Cut Ready depth-of-cut system helps with quick accurate depth adjustments
Another feature we really like about this saw is that it stays cool even during more intense workloads. This is possible through the dual copper windings in the motor.
You can throw at it all the types of lumber and wood you need for DIY home projects and it will handle them all. With proper care, this can easily be the only saw you’ll be using for many years.
3. SKIL 5180-01 14-Amp, 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
The SKIL 5180-01 circular saw is another powerful and dependable choice. It comes with a spindle locking system, dust blower, and guarded trigger top to make your job easy and safe.
- 14-Amp motor for more power and performance than the SKIL 5480
- 15% weight reduction vs. SKIL 5480 reduces user fatigue
- 51-Degree bevel with positive stop at 45-Degree for greater cut capacity that SKIL 5480
This is the best circular saw to slice through any wood type of 2×4’s and easily cuts down plywood to pre-determined sizes.
The 51 degrees bevel with a 45 degree positive stop gives you a broader range of angle and miter cuts while the dust blower does a good job of keeping the line of cut free of sawdust.
7.2 lbs. lighter than its predecessor, this circular saw with its 14 amps motor provides the right mix of features for home projects.
4. Black & Decker BDECS300C 13 Amp Circular Saw
The Black & Decker BDECS300C is a laser-guided circular saw that delivers 13 amps of power to its 7-1/4 inch circular saw blades. It’s capable of accurate cuts and is easy to handle.
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN – Helps keep you comfortable and in control while minimizing muscle fatigue.
- POWERFUL MOTOR – Circular saw’s 13 Amp motor delivers effective and efficient cutting for most...
- LASER GUIDE – Illuminates the cut line for enhanced accuracy.
This lightweight saw features an easy-to-use bevel and depth adjustments and a spindle locking system for easy blade changes.
Backed by a two-year limited warranty, it can saw its way through all the DIY woodworking projects you plan to complete in the coming years.
5. PORTER-CABLE PCE310 15 Amp Circular Saw
The PORTER-CABLE PCE310 is powered up by a 15 amps motor running at 5,500 RPM. You’re looking at a heavy-duty magnesium shoe circular saw that delivers very performance at a good price.
- 15 amp motor running at 5,500 RPM provides power and speed through applications
- Magnesium shoe, metal upper & lower guards provide added durability
- Spindle lock and depth adjustment for quick adjustments on the job
Along with upper and lower metal guards, this saw comes with a spindle locking system and easy depth adjustments that reduce fatigue in the long run.
This circular saw allows 55 degrees maximum bevel adjustments with detents at 22.5 degrees & 45 degrees providing ease of use. At only 9 lbs., it’s one of the lighter and most accessible products in its price range.
6. Makita 8-1/4″” Magnesium Saw with L.E.D. Lights
This magnesium circular saw from Makita comes with a powerful 5,200 motor, large cutting capacity, and rubberized levels that allow for easy one-hand adjustments as you work.
- Magnesium components create a lightweight saw (11.4 lbs.) that is well balanced and job site tough
- Large cutting capacity (3" at 90°) and bevel capacity (0°-50°) with positive stops at 22.5° and...
- Two built-in L.E.D. lights illuminate the line of cut for increased accuracy
We also like the built-in electric brake and the good grip of the handle. Line of cut LED lights and strong power cord are two extra features that come in handy and that make it a good long term choice.
At 11.4 lbs. it’s not the lightest saw on our list, but it’s fairly easy to handle even if you have minimal experience with similar tools.
7. Ridgid R8652 GEN5X 7-1/4 inch Saw
Rigid Gen5X tools enjoy a good reputation, and one of the latest additions to this line-up is the Ridgid R8652 GEN5X, a cordless circular saw that can handle a beating. It can cut through a depth of 2-7/16 inch at zero degrees with LED lightning.
- EASY HANDLING: The main handle is comfortable for nearly any sized hand. There is an additional...
- EASY DEPTH ADJUSTMENT: Simply unscrew the onboard knob to adjust the depth of cuts suited for a 7...
- EASY BEVEL ADJUSTMENTS: Another knob is located on the side which you can loosen to adjust the...
The saw features large but easy-to-use paddle locks for depth and bevel control, an air redirect that keeps clear the cutting line, a contoured front pommel handle, and bevel adjustment at a max level of 56 degrees.
The downside is that this saw is fairly heavy but then you’re not limited in your movements by the cord so you can use it outside on the patio for a landscaping timber project.
Even when covered in sawdust, the rubber over-mold never seems to lose grip. Battery life is also good.
8. SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15 Amp Saw
Weighing only 11.6 lbs., the SKILSAW SPT77WML-0 with a 15 amp dual-field motor is one of the lightest worm drives in its class but still provides rugged durability and consistent outstanding cutting performance all the way.
- Lightest magnesium construction reduces user fatigue for less down time
- Cut-ready depth of cut system helps with quick, accurate depth measurements
- 53° bevel allows users to complete a wider variety of cuts
This circular saw, with its 7-1/4 inch saw blade has a max cutting capacity of 2-3/8 inch at 90 degrees with a maximum 53 degrees bevel capacity which more than enough for decking, ceilings, or framing.
The ruggedly designed magnesium housing stays strong job after job while keeping the motor cool.
9. Milwaukee 6390-20 Tilt-Lok 15 Amp Saw
Featuring the exclusive Tilt-Lok handle technology, the Milwaukee’s 6390-20 15 amps circular saw gains the honors as one of the best concepts for circular saws in years.
- Power Tools and Accessories
- Country of manufacture: China
- Manufacturer: Milwaukee
At barely 10.4 lbs. and delivering a maximum of 3.25 horsepower, this circular saw has one of the best power-to-weight ratio in the industry.
It has a 50 degrees bevel cutting capacity and offers superior blade visibility and a clear line of sight from either side. The Tilt-Lok handle adjusts conveniently to the work.
The Milwaukee 6390-20 can cut through tough materials including headers, Microllams or LVL (Laminated veneer lumber), and wet lumber.
10. Makita HS7600 10.5 AMP, 7-1/4 inch Saw
The Makita HS7600 has a 10.5 amps motor delivering 5,200 RPM while weighing only 8.6 lbs. The high power-to-weight ratio together with its easy-to-use features makes this a lightweight yet very capable saw.
- Powerful 10.5 AMP motor deliver 5,200 RPM for performance and job site durability
- Large cutting capacity (2-1/2andquot; at 90Degree, 1-5/8andquot; at 45Degree)
- Well-balanced and lightweight (8.6 lbs.) for superior handling and performance
This Makita circular saw features a thick heavy-duty wraparound aluminum base that adds to its durability and allows for straighter cuts.
It has a cutting capability of 2-1/2 inch at 90 degrees (1-5/8 inch at 45 degrees) and a maximum bevel cutting capacity of 45 degrees at zero degree which is ideal for most common angles.
It also has a perfectly lower guard design that improves performance and capability when making bevel and narrow cuts.
Additionally, it’s also capable of performing jobs such as framing walls, flooring works, siding, and roofing tasks using a wide range of dimensional and composite lumber including plywood, OSB, PSL, LVL, and more.
11. TACKLIFE Circular Saw with Metal Handle and 6 Blades
This corded Tacklife circular saw comes with a patented metal handle that gives it a firm grip and makes it easier to handle with one hand than other saws. The set includes 6 blades for wood cuts.
At 3500 RPM, the motor is not the most powerful around, but it does its job well and can saw you through DIY woodworking projects. You can use it for 90 to 45-degree bevel cutting with easy depth adjustments on the go.
12. Black & Decker BDCCS20B 5.5 inch Saw
The Black & Decker BDCCS20B 5.5 inch blade circular saw is another cordless circular saw we recommend for DIY home and outdoor projects.
- VERSATILE 5-1/2 IN. BLADE – Fast-cutting blade is ideal for a range of DIY tasks.
- VARIABLE-SPEED TRIGGER – For enhanced control over every job.
- ANGLED CUTS – Bevel detents at 45 and 90 degrees for angled cuts.
Light but powerful, this small circular saw features a tool-free depth of cut along with an ease-of-use bevel adjustment specifically designed to allow for precise-angled cuts.
It has bevel cutting capability with detents of 45 degrees and 90 degrees. Moreover, it works with the entire Black & Decker 20V Max system.
It delivers an overall smooth and fast cutting for tough everyday tasks making it the perfect partner for your great projects.
13. Makita SH02R1 12V Max Cordless Saw
This ultra-compact size Makita SH02R1 12 cordless circular saw relies on two 12Volts CXT Li slide-style batteries which improve handling capabilities, balance, and ergonomics over pod-style batteries.
- Makita-built motor delivers 1,500 RPM for faster cutting
- 3-3/8" blade delivers a maximum cutting depth of 1" for a wide range of cutting applications
- Adjustable cutting depth from 1" at 90° and 5/8" at 45°
Weighing just 3.5 lbs., this accessible saw can cut 1-inch thick plywood, MDF, drywall, pegboard, particleboard, and melamine. It’s great for applications in tight spaces.
The two 12 Volts max CXT Lithium-Ion batteries deliver 1,500 RPM for faster cutting at an adjustable cutting depth of 1 inch at 90 degrees and 5/8 inch at 45 degrees.
Good to know: For a longer running time, all 12Volts max CXT cordless tools are adaptable with the 12 Volts max CXT Li 4.0Ah battery (BL1041B) coupled with a Battery Protection Circuit.
Circular Saw Buying Guide
When you shop for a circular saw, there are a few important features and specifications you want to pay attention to.
Cordless Vs Corded
Cordless circular saws are the most portable. They are great for working on outdoor projects in your backyard or shed or if you need to tweak an external structure, such as a gazebo.
The downside is that their power and operation time are limited by their battery.
If you’re not sure whether a cordless saw can handle the work you need done, better get a corded one with a cable extension to go with it.
Tip: If you buy cordless, 15-amp batteries provide the best performance.
Circular Saw Blade Sizes
The blade size for circular saws for home use range from 6 1/2-inches to 8 1/4-inches.
For home projects, 7 and 1/4 inches saws provide the best value as they can cut through wood 3 inches or thick.
For this type of blade, you’ll also be able to easily find blade replacements.
High-speed stainless steel blades are cheaper but they deteriorate faster and you may not count on them in the long run.
A better choice is an all-purpose carbide-tipped blade or equivalent.
This is one of the most important features when it comes to circular saws, and one that’s often overlooked.
Handling is not only a matter of how ergonomic the handle is but also of the weight of the tool and how this weight is distributed.
Opting for a lightweight design will make using the saw easier and can increase your work time.
But factor in the ratio between design and power–you don’t want to sacrifice too much power just to get a light design.
Other Useful Features
The best saws come with other features that improve their cutting precision and make them easier to use.
Look for the following useful features:
- Laser line to help you make a straight cut without having to mark the wood beforehand
- Bevel stops to help you quickly change depth and angle
- Power brake
- Spindle lock for easy blade changes
Circular Saw Frequently Asked Questions
Now let’s take a look at some of the most frequent questions we are hearing about this type of saws.
What are the best circular saws?
What are circular saws used for?
You can use a circular saw to cut wood, masonry, plastic, and certain types of PVC as part of home DIY projects. Learn more about the uses of circular saws.
Are mini circular saws any good?
Mini saws can help you when it comes to lightweight DIY home and garden projects. Explore our list of best circular saws to find the right one for you.
Do circular saws cut straight?
The best circular saws have laser lights and other features that help you make a good cut. For a perfectly straight cut, you may want to use a cutting guide.
Saw Your Projects Through
There you have it–our selection of the best circular saws on the market right now together with buying tips and frequently asked questions.
Equipped with the right saw, you’ll be able to tackle a wide range of DIY home projects and build things faster and without making a mess. When it comes to cutting wood, the right tool makes a big difference.
Do you have any experience using a circular saw? Are you going to upgrade an old saw or buying your first?
Let us know. And tell us about your DIY projects! We’re curious!
Until next post, happy cutting!