Wouldn’t a robot vacuum cleaner make your life easier? You probably think of this every time you get home from work and instead of putting your feet up or relaxing in your garden, you realize the floor is a total mess.
If you’ve been a slave to your dumb old vacuum up till now, you might be a bit on the fence about robot vacuum cleaners. Do they really work? Are they worth the money?
In this buyer’s guide, we’ll explain in detail what’s the deal with them, how they work, what you need to know when deciding to buy one, and which are the best robot vacuum cleaners on the market right now.
So, really to change your cleaning ways?
Do Robot Vacuum Cleaners Really Work?
This is the main question and it deserves a straight answer. Yes, robot vacuum cleaners do work and you’ll be surprised how efficient such a little machine can be.
A robot vacuum cleaner can deal with the regular dirt that builds up on a carpet, including that annoying pet hair that seems to be everywhere. Or if it runs into a particularly dirty spot, it will focus on that until it’s perfectly clean.
If you’re thinking about a round thingy ambling aimlessly around the house, you’re clearly thinking about the first robot vacuum cleaners that were introduced some 20 years ago.
Two decades is a long time considering how fast modern technology is evolving.
Today’s robot vacuum cleaners are equipped with the latest technology, including sensors to detect obstacles and Wi-Fi connectivity so you can control them remotely.
Also, they are equipped with powerful HEPA filters to keep your house dust and allergen-free.
Once its job is done, your robot vacuum cleaner will return all by itself to its charging station while waiting for you to come home and empty the bag.
That’s something you’ll still need to do, although high-end newer models can empty the bag automatically into a bin next to the charging station.
Are Robot Vacuum Cleaners Worth It?
Buying a robot vacuum cleaner is an important investment, particularly if you’re considering coughing up the money for a top-of-the-line model. But no, you probably won’t regret it.
Since we’re talking about a piece of advanced machinery, it will take you a couple of days to learn how to set it up to avoid known pitfalls, like the robot vacuum cleaner getting stuck in a corner and crying for help or it gobbling some of your extension cords.
Once you get over that, a good robot vacuum cleaner will work like a charm. With regular use, your house will look squeaky clean, like never before.
All right, maybe you can do a superb job yourself, but honestly, how much time does it take you to vacuum the whole house?
Thirty minutes? One hour?
And how many times a week do you need to do that?
Wouldn’t you be better off spending that time with your family or investing it in something worthwhile?
Also, think how much money you can save if you normally employ a cleaning lady. Why pay her an extra hour for vacuuming when you already have a robot to do that?
Our Favorite Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
Let’s have a look at the best models on the market and their main features so you can decide which might be best for your needs. We’ll focus on the key features and highlight pros and cons to help you make an informed decision.
iRobot Roomba i7+
- CLEANS UP AFTER YOU, AND ITSELF - Forget about vacuuming for months at a time with the CLEAN BASE...
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE & POWERFUL PICK-UP - Pulls in stubborn dirt & messes with a Premium 3-Stage...
- GUIDED BY SERIOUS SMARTS - With vSLAM navigation, the i7+ learns the layout of your home & builds...
All Roomba robot vacuum cleaners are great, but the i7+ is top of the line. The best feature on this model is the vSLAM navigation system, which is ultra-smart.
Your robot vacuum cleaner will quickly familiarize itself with the layout of your house and will learn to distinguish between the kitchen and the living room.
Besides regular cleaning, this robot vacuum cleaner can be used to quickly clean up an accidental mess, with a simple voice command via Alexa or Google Assistant.
- You can map out sensitive areas, to keep it from disturbing your pet or going into the kids’ play area and gobbling all the Lego pieces
- It’s equipped with filters that capture up to 99% of pet allergens
- 10 times the suction power of a basic robot vacuum cleaner
- Doesn’t do great with edges and corners
Best for: Large houses with many pets.
iRobot Roomba 675
- CLEAN SMARTER - The 600 series is a great way to begin cleaning your home smarter. Just schedule it...
- LOOSENS, LIFTS, & SUCTIONS - The 3 Stage Cleaning system & Dual Multi-Surface brushes grab dirt from...
- LEARNS YOUR LIFE LISTENS TO YOUR VOICE - Learns your cleaning habits to offer up personalized...
In the brave new world of robot vacuum cleaners, iRobot is a big name. The iRobot Roomba 675 is one of the smartest in its category, as it is equipped with sensors that allow it to navigate safely around the house.
It’s hardworking enough to go under the furniture or around the pieces that are too close to the ground. Also, the iRobot Roomba 675 has edge-sweeping brushes so it can totally deal with corners where other robots cannot reach.
This robot vacuum cleaner is equally good for hard floors as well as carpets, and it’s a Godsend with pet hair, especially in the shedding season.
- Cliff Detect feature keeps it from falling down the stairs
- Connects with Amazon’s Alexa or Google Assistant so you can put it to work with a simple voice command
- Needs some training to memorize the layout of your house
- Some users complain about the battery life being too short
Best for: Houses with pets that need cleaning just about every day.
Shark ION Robot Vacuum AV753
- THREE BRUSH TYPES. ONE POWERFUL CLEAN: Tri-Brush System combines side brushes, channel brushes, and...
- COMPLETELY INTEGRATED IN YOUR HOME: Shark ION Robot senses ledges and stairs, avoids damaging...
- CLEAN FROM YOUR PHONE: The SharkClean app lets you start and stop cleaning and schedule your robot...
If you have a home with multiple types of surfaces that need to be cleaned, this Shark ION Robot vacuum cleaner is a great choice. It’s equipped with side brushes, channel brushes, and a brushroll that works efficiently on any type of surface.
The sensors on this robot vacuum cleaner allow it to deal with ledges and stay away from the stairs. Also, it won’t bang into the furniture so there’s no risk of damage.
- Dedicated SharkApp allows you to set a cleaning schedule, but you can also control it via Alexa or Google Assistant
- Improved battery life keeps it working for two hours before it needs to recharge
- Hard to set up stay-out zones so it might get stuck under your couch
- Hair tends to build up on the edges of the wheels and brushes
Best for: Everyday use on large surfaces.
iRobot Roomba i3
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE AND POWERFUL PICK-UP - Pulls in stubborn dirt and messes with a Premium 3-Stage...
- SMART NAVIGATION GETS THE JOB DONE - The i3 navigates and maps your home in neat rows using...
- GOES WHERE IT'S NEEDED, AVOIDS WHERE IT'S NOT - Reactive Sensor Technology tells the robot where it...
The iRobot Roomba i3 is smart enough to let you know when more cleaning needs to be done, like during shedding or allergy season, and doesn’t expect a bonus for the extra work.
This one works its way around the house in neat rows so it won’t miss a spot. It’s very powerful with 10 times the suction power of a basic robot vacuum cleaner.
- Connects with a self-emptying base, so you won’t have to bother emptying the bag too often
- Can be used together with a Braava jet m6 Robot Mop for a total cleaning experience
- Dirt Detect sensors allow it to focus on problem areas
- Not suitable for creating keep-out zones
- Some of the people who bought this product say hair can get tangled in the wheels and the spinning brush
Best for: Large houses with a couple of pets.
Tesvor Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- 【POWERFUL SUCTION】 Adopt Innovative Supclean technology to achieve an incredibly high 4000PA...
- 【VOICE & APP CONTROLS】 Works with Alexa & Google Assistant voice commands.Use APP to schedule &...
- 【ULTRA-LONG RUNTIME】 5200mah battery capacity provides up to 150 minutes of constant cleaning,...
This robot vacuum cleaner is very dedicated and very methodical, going up and down the floor in neat lines to leave the room spotless. You’ll like its stamina and overall efficiency.
One of its best features is the impressive suction power, up to 4000PA, which you won’t find on many models. We also like the grid mapping features which enable it to deal with obstructions well.
- Increased battery life to keep it working for up to 150 minutes
- Anti-drop and anti-collision sensors keep both your robot vacuum cleaner and your furniture safe from harm
- Quiet mode for doing its job when your kids are sleeping or during nighttime cleaning
- Might get stuck on small rugs
- Using the phone app can be quite a headache so best leave the job to Alexa
Best for: Cleaning a house quietly so you won’t be distracted while you work or watch TV and the kids do their thing.
iRobot Roomba i6+
- UPGRADE TO A SMARTER CLEAN - The i6+ introduces an exclusive upgrade to Imprint Smart Mapping,...
- CLEANS UP AFTER YOU, AND ITSELF - Forget about vacuuming for months at a time with the Clean Base...
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE and POWERFUL PICK-UP - Pulls in stubborn dirt and messes with a Premium 3-Stage...
A genius among robot vacuum cleaners, the iRobot Roomba i6+ uses Smart Mapping to learn how to navigate every room of your house. What’s more, you can create a separate schedule for each room.
That’s great since the kids’ room might need daily cleaning, while the master bedroom only needs to be vacuumed twice a week.
You’re looking at a robotic vacuum cleaner that can handle obstacles well and doesn’t get bogged down by hair or other inconveniences it meets along the way.
- The Automatic Dirt Disposal is large enough for the robot vacuum cleaner to empty its bag for up to 60 days before you need to empty the bin
- The multi-surface rubber brushes won’t get tangled with hair
- Can connect to a Braava jet m6 robot to mop the floors after vacuuming
- High-efficiency filters to trap allergens
- You may be a bit disappointed with the battery life of this robot vacuum cleaner
Best for: Homes with furry pets or people with allergies.
Kyvol Cybovac E20
- Powerful Suction & Ultra-thin: 2000Pa strong suction power, are suitable for hard floors to...
- 150 min Runtime & Self-charging: This automatic vacuum cleaner robot has a high capacity lithium-ion...
- Smart App & Voice Control: You can easily create a cleaning schedule, change the cleaning mode, and...
There’s no stopping this robot vacuum cleaner once it starts running. The ultra-thin design (only 2.85 inches tall) allows it to get under most pieces of furniture where other vacuums might have trouble fitting.
And it doesn’t tire easily, as the battery is powerful enough to keep it going for up to 150 minutes, plenty of time to clean the whole house. We also like the cleaning modes and overall efficiency of the design.
- Comes with magnetic strips to cordon off stay-away areas where you don’t want the vacuum to stick its powerful suction ends
- Three cleaning modes-regular automatic cleaning, spot cleaning, and edges cleaning
- “Find” button enables you to locate the robot vacuum cleaner in case it wanders off somewhere around the house
- If it needs to recharge, it won’t resume work automatically and won’t pick off where it left, meaning it will go into a full-cycle again-so no, you can’t count on it while you’re on holiday!
Best for: Homes with small kids where you might need to clean the floors twice a day.
Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty XL RV101AE
- FORGET ABOUT VACUUMING FOR UP TO A MONTH: A bagless, self-emptying base holds up to 30 days of...
- POWERFUL SUCTION: Deep-cleaning power to take on large debris, small debris, and pet hair on...
- NO HAIR WRAP: Self-cleaning brushroll removes pet hair and long hair as it cleans - no more hair...
With this robot vacuum cleaner you can basically forget about cleaning floors and carpets for up to a month. Why? First of all, the charging station comes with a large dust bin that can hold 30-days’ worth of dirt before you need to empty it.
At the same time, this Shark robot vacuum cleaner knows how to clean its own brushes, so they won’t get tangled with hair. That’s a pretty cool feature that can save the day.
- This robot can map your whole house and allows you to select what rooms need to be cleaned
- If it needs to recharge mid-job, it will resume work where it left off
- Comes with boundary-setting strips
- Some of the people who bought this product reported that it’s a bit too noisy, so you might want to program it to do the cleaning when you’re not at home
- It doesn’t handle edges as well as some of the other choices on our list
Best for: Homes with hard floors (included tiled floors) rather than large carpeted areas.
Robot Vacuum GOOVI 1600PA
- POWERFUL SUCTION: 1600Pa of intense suction picks up dust, crumbs, and dirts. Ideal for hard wood...
- EFFICIENT AND INTELLIGENT: GOOVI slim robot vacuum automatically returns to charging base to...
- THOROUGH CLEANING: 2.83” low profile design enables vacuum cleaner glide underneath beds and sofa...
You’re looking at a very affordable robot vacuum cleaner that does a great job picking up dust, crumbs, and other types of dirt.
It has a slim design so it can easily get under the beds or cabinets. This robot vacuum cleaner is equipped with a high-capacity battery that allows it to run around the house for 120 minutes.
- The relatively large wheels allow it to navigate thick carpets and ledges easily
- Anti-drop technology prevents the robot vacuum cleaner from falling down the stairs
- Needs frequent emptying of the dust box
- The brushes also need to be cleaned of hairs regularly to prevent malfunctioning
Best for: Homes with multiple types of flooring as it can transition seamlessly from one to another. Great also if you have a dog with long hair.
iRobot Roomba E5
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE AND POWERFUL PICK-UP - Pulls in stubborn dirt and messes with a Premium 3-Stage...
- IDEAL FOR HOMES WITH PETS - Unique Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes don't get tangled with pet...
- LEARNS YOUR LIFE LISTENS TO YOUR VOICE - Learns your cleaning habits to offer up personalized...
You don’t need to tell the iRobot Roomba E5 twice what to do, which is an improvement on your stubborn teen who needs constant yelling.
The Roomba E5 can be controlled via Alexa or Google Assistant and will learn to recognize your voice and set to work instantly.
The Dirt Detect sensors tell the robot vacuum cleaner which areas need special attention. Also, the brushes have automatic adjustable height to deal with carpets or floors.
- The adaptative navigation feature allows this robot vacuum cleaner to move easily along the furniture and stay away from those pieces that are too low for it to slip under
- It can adjust its running pattern according to the layout of a room
- 5 times as powerful as most standard robot vacuum cleaner
- Cannot be set to clean a specific room
- Does not have a function to create keep-out zones, so make sure you don’t leave charger cords or small toys on the floor
Yeedi k700 Robot Vacuum
- 【Overall Coverage】Smart navigation with Camera Mapping technology allows the robot vacuum...
- 【2 in 1 Vacuum & Mop】The vacuuming mode can last for 110min, with the largest 2000Pa...
- 【Smart Sterilization System】The 300ML reservoir combined with disinfectant achieves...
Better than a maid you cannot afford. The yeedi k700 robot vacuum cleaner is a 2 in 1 smart appliance that vacuums and then mops the floor, too.
How great is that? It is also ultra slim so it fits easily under the bed where it’s hard to reach with a regular mop. The design’s pretty cute too!
- This robot vacuum cleaner comes with a smart sterilization system that allows you to make your house germ-free with a disinfectant that can be poured into its 300ml reservoir
- Real-time sensors keep the vacuum cleaner from bumping into obstacles or falling down the stairs
- Turbo mode to deal with stubborn dirt
- Tends to get stuck in random places
- Some customers say this robot vacuum cleaner sometimes has trouble finding its charging base
Best for: Homes where rigorous hygiene is a priority.
How to Choose the Right Robot Vacuum Cleaner [Buyer’s Guide]
If you’re considering buying a robot vacuum cleaner don’t go by looks. Actually, most of them look so cool you’d have a hard time picking one.
You need to establish your needs first and only then look for a model that can do the job. You also need to pay attention to technical features, which may not be much fun but are essential if you want to get a good robot vacuum cleaner.
Let’s take a closer look at the key features you need to consider to make sure you get the best value for your money.
This tells you how hard the robot vacuum cleaner works. This suction power is measured in something called PA, and a basic robot vacuum cleaner has a 1,000 suction power.
That’s good enough for hard floors, but for a carpeted house look for a model with a higher suction power. There are plenty around.
Runtime & Charging Time
These two features determine how efficient your robot vacuum cleaner is. You need to look for a vacuum with a high-capacity battery, which will allow it to work for at least 60 minutes. Top-end models have a 120-150 minutes autonomy.
The charging time also varies between 50 minutes and three hours. Shorter is better, but this one really depends on your needs.
For a two-bedroom one-floor apartment, even 60 minutes might be enough. For a larger house, pick a model that can work for two hours straight.
If you have problems with the running time, you might want to program the robot vacuum cleaner to start working as soon as you’re off in the morning and it will certainly be done cleaning by the time you get back, even if it does need to take a recharge break.
This is very important if you want to control your robot vacuum cleaner remotely. Most modern vacuums connect to Wi-Fi and can be sent to work with a voice command via Alexa or Google Assistant.
At the same time, most manufacturers have phone apps that allow you to schedule the cleaning routine. Not all phone apps are as intuitive or easy to use though, so you may want to have a quick look at the app’s rating in the App Store or on Google Play.
This feature tells you how smart your intelligent robot vacuum cleaner actually is. Let’s take an example to illustrate the point.
When you have a large house, the robot vacuum cleaner might run out of battery mid-job. Now, that’s not much of a problem since most of these technological maids know how to find their way back to the charging station and guzzle up some energy.
The problem is what happens next. Some of these robots just forget what they were doing and won’t get back to work unless they receive a new command.
Other robots are a bit brighter and remember that they were supposed to clean, but don’t know where they left off so they will go through the whole cycle again, which is a waste of time and energy.
The smartest robot vacuum cleaners recharge their batteries and pick up at the exact spot they left off.
The smart mapping feature allows a vacuum cleaner to learn the layout of the house and also to distinguish between rooms.
This is really useful as you can set up a schedule telling the robot exactly which rooms it needs to clean and when.
You might want to look for a model that also comes with border-setting strips to cordon off sensitive no-go areas or, better yet, a model that comes with a virtual walls function, which does basically the same thing as the magnetic strips.
Honestly speaking, it’s hard to find a robot vacuum cleaner that doesn’t make noise. You’d need to be a very heavy sleeper not to hear a vacuum working around the house.
However, if this is a concern for you, look for a model which has a quiet function or a night mode. This is as good as it gets.
One of the main reasons people want to buy a robot vacuum cleaner is to get rid of all the pet hair, or human hair for that matter.
You need to look for a robot with a high suction power that works efficiently on carpets. Anyone can pick up the hairs off a hard floor!
Another thing you need to consider is the type of brushes the robot uses. Rubber brushes are easy to clean and the hair won’t get tangled in them.
Your best choice, however, is a robot vacuum cleaner with a self-cleaning function that can remove the hairs stuck in the brushes on its own.
Commonly Asked Questions About Robot Vacuum Cleaners
As a summary of this buyer’s guide, let’s review some of the most frequent questions we’ve been hearing about these handy little robots.
Which robot vacuum cleaner is the best?
The best robot vacuum cleaners you can get right now include the iRobot Roomba i7+, the iRobot Roomba 675, and the Shark ION Robot Vacuum AV753.
Which is better Shark or Roomba?
Roomba vacuum cleaners are more popular and have better reviews, but at the end of the day it depends on which model you choose. Both are top choices when it comes to robot vacuum cleaners. Check our favorite robotic vacuum cleaners to explore all your options.
Do Roomba vacuums really work?
Yes, they do! Roomba vacuums are some of the best on the market. And they are not the only robot vacuum cleaners you can count on today.
Hey, Robot, Go and Clean the Carpets!
It’s as simple as that. You just ask it to your obedient robot vacuum cleaner will start running around the house cleaning the floors and the carpets while you chill in the garden and enjoy the weather.
It’s not sci-fi. Robot vacuum cleaners are here to take a load off your back and they earn their money by rewarding you with a commodity that’s priceless-time!
Set whatever schedule fits your needs and your house will always look impeccable at all times. Some friends dropping by for a drink? Let them come! Your mother-in-law on an unexpected visit? No worries, she won’t find anything to complain about!
Now over to you-do you have used a robot vacuum cleaner before? And has any of the vacuums on our list caught your attention?
Drop us a comment and let us know!